Purposefully purposeless

People say that I'm pretty good at making analogies. But this time, i'll make no analogies and go straight to the topic - The sense of purpose!!
I can easily say that people lack a basic sense of purpose. Especially we Indians. I'm not complaining. Look at me! I've got an internal exam tomorrow and here I am writing a blog :P. Indians are brought up that way - lacking a sense of purpose. Right from the family, society, school and college to workplaces ! We lack a sense of purpose ( Ok ! now stop counting the number of times I've said sense of purpose:P )
We just don't realize this! We think that we are doing something great ! Eno doddadagi kithakthiddivi ansatthe namge :p (non kannadigas, never mind ;) ) Ten years of schooling... If you look back, what exactly have you learnt from it ??? Chuck schooling ! Lets say that it was moulding you! Getting you prepared for the future. But College??
I've learnt (according to my marks card) the most beautiful and extremely fascinating subjects ( Yes! I literally mean it ) in the horriblest possible way ( I know the word horriblest doesn't exist ) I mean, just think about it. You are supposed to learn something new and then you validate if you have understood what you've learnt. But enter VTU . If you just look at the big picture of VTU, you'll realize that it's nothing but a big joke. Pretty sure most of the other universities in India are the same. Here we are taught for 6 whole months ( make that 2 and a half :D ) to just solve some 5 questions ! And those questions !!!!! My God ! How much more predictable can the question papers get ?? To get a distinction in this university, all you need to do is look at the solutions of some previous year papers and try to replicate the same on the exam day ! But think ! What have you achieved?
Hurray ! you've got a distinction ! You've made your college and family proud ! You are a certified engineer ! But what have you learnt ??? Motte ! Nothing you know , yet you are under the assumption that you know something. You see, this is the worst that can ever happen. You don't know anything and you accept it, then you are open to learning . But this ! This should actually be considered as a crime.
In India, we are made to mug up all sorts of shit for the first 10 years ! We are not asked what we like or what we want to learn. In the name of education, our wings of creativity and passion are cut off ! Then enter the college where we have no idea about the subjects or what is going on !!
Four years of engineering is nothing but ''Swalpa assume maadi'' and '' Swalpa adjust madi'' ! And you know what is the worst part here? Teachers here consider it to be a personal insult if a student asks a dotubt which he/she cannot answer. Their blood literally boils up and the student is now their new arch enemy ! Trust me on this ... I've been the prime target of my teachers for the past three years ! Some of them had even plotted to detain me :P. I can imagine the plight of the rest !
It's not just education that has lost its purpose. I personally feel scared when a police vehicle passes by rather than feeling secured ! The law system and politics ! Don't even get me started on that !
But there is something that we can actually do. Just question what you are doing. You write a moral studies exam and copy in it to pass !
Our system values a piece of paper called degree more than what you have or are supposed to learn. This is a bit cliched but this is exactly the reason why we don't have 15 year old inventors and 19 year old self-made millionaires. We are taught to understand something that is already there in the worst possible way till we are in mid 20s. Where is the question of innovation ?? No wonder all the currently famous people are of Indian origin and not Indians !!
A wise man once told me, "I don't care if y
ou are thinking in the right or the wrong direction. Or if you are thinking big or small ! I just want you to THINK "

So , keep it simple silly :)

Comments

Post a Comment