Deeksha Alumni Day speech -2014

I'm a Deeksha Alumni ! Yes :P . But a classroom nerd?  Absolutely not :D
I was asked to give a speech on the Alumni day -2014. I really poured out my heart into it. This speech though no one heard, is very close to my heart. Hope you like it

Hi guys ! I'm Amar and yes I'm in 3rd year of engineering .

     The last time I stood here was around 3 years back, during my graduation . Hard to believe that it's been that long ! I still remember the day I gave my entrance exam, my first day here, the day I got my IIT books which certainly weighed more than I did , the RFTs , the weekly tests, the morning assemblies, ethnic day, the sports days , graduation day and of course Shashanks's graduation day speech. But ask me what subjects I had the previous semester!! I can't answer that without thinking for a while! See... That's the magic of Deeksha. It's totally different from the other college. Good different or bad different, it is up to you!

     We were a batch of around 80 people! It was almost like a close knit family. Each one knew every other person. Even today, my best friends are the ones from Deeksha. The fun we had here is incomparable ! I guess it's the kick you get from doing things you're forbidden from doing!

     The syllabus that had to be covered ! Oh my god! I'm pretty sure that I could complete my engineering in less than half the time if my engineering college taught at the same pace! T he weekly tests! Two every week. You finish one test, another one followed and another one followed right after that! And this ended only with the actually entrance exams! And you screw up one exam, you could feel it's impact on the next one!! But this actually helped me a lot in writing 6 internal exams in 3 consecutive days in engineering!!

     The teachers here! Trust me guys, they are the best! You'll never realize this till you leave this place! The teachers here especially Mahuya ma'am taught me to think and not memorize. Analyze the problems and not just solve them using a method that everyone follows . They taught me to use shortcuts , but only when needed and necessary! It was only after I left that I realized how different I was taught. One thing I've realized is that here, we were not only taught how to crack JEEs,AIEEEs or AIPMTs , but were being prepared to face life. We were taught to overcome obstacles with our head held high.

     Organizing icube taught us so many life skills that we still use. Ask Sriram over there, he'll tell you that he's the cultural secretory of his college only because of icube!

      Inspire of having such teachers and peers, I'm not from any IIT or any NIT !! WHY? Simple! I didn't prepare enough! Your level of preparation between january and the entrance exams plays a huge role. I failed to realize this. Plus, I neglected my PU ! The result... Narrowly missing out on a JEE or a good AIEEE rank. Yet, not getting into the best of the local engineering colleges. I still regret this! Don't let this be one of the things that you'll regret.

     One thing I would like to tell you about engineering colleges. You'll not realize anything much if you end up in a good college. But you'll definitely know the difference if you land into a so called "OK" or "DECENT" college. You'll feel the difference every single day!

     The most important thing about your life in engineering is perhaps the branch that you choose. Simplest way to do this is to imagine what want to be doing after ten years! Back trace the steps and choose your branch.

     Finally, one last thing! Once you join engineering, you'll have lots of free time! You'll have to decide what you want to do with this time very wisely! Engineering opens up a while new horizon of opportunities  and yet there's no one to grab your hand and guide you. You'll have to be clear on what you want to do because you might lose your way very easily and ultimately pass out of engineering realizing that you've absolutely fine nothing !

So study well! Have fun! Enjoy! Good luck and thank you




P.S: This speech was given on the alumni day at Deeksha, Indiranagar on 2nd jan ,2014! The speech had to be cut short due to lack of time and this is the un-edited version.

Comments