Age of Ambiguity

Well ! Hello there...
It has been my dream for years to write my own poem. ( I did write a few crass , meaningless ones before though :P) This is my first honest attempt at poetry. And yes, I have tried maintaining a valid rhyming scheme and a uniform syntax throughout. I have even tried to squeeze in some subtlety in it. So kindly read it completely in order for it to make a corporeal sense. (Corporeal=having a body i.e a complete solid sense) One thing i need to tell you is that unlike my other articles, I've used a few uncommon/ non colloquial (colloquial=used in normal conversation) . But I have given the meanings of all those words at the end of the poem. Do let me know how this is... If not in the comments section , text me or fb me. Also, I would love to know what meaning you took out from this :)

Let me first give you the brief background to this poem. We often speak a lot about childhood and its innocence, adolescence and its carelessness and then jump right to the adulthood and its responsibilities. Seldom do people talk about the actual transition state - the age of 21 ! As I'm just days away from this magic number, I write this poem with the name " AGE OF AMBIGUITY".

So, here it goes...
 

I'm a normal 21 year old
I don't have no problems
nor have I got some issues

Bacchanalian I'm not! Belligerent-a far off thought!
Misanthrope? Oh that's a lie
Life's an azure sky
Battles though tiny, are now there to be fought

Life's given me many a choices! Each with its own vices!
Every road has its suspense
Strutting should be done with prudence
But, the path I now choose must silence all my voices

I'm a calm 21 year old
I don't have no problems
nor have I got some issues 

Callous teenager no more! Reaching adulthood's door!
No more whining
All the more lining
When I take a look, it looks like a boat without an oar 

I say, I've got no boot! You show me one with no foot!
Issues, mine are banal
You dismiss this as trivial
But, I want not just happy, but felicity till my root

I'm a confident 21 year old
I don't have no problems
nor have I got some issues 

Success is a premonition! Failure is not an aversion!
Falling is my stepping stone
Proof that I have grown
But, not succeeding is what I fear as I meander off my mission

I think a lot and then accede! A 'Leap of faith", I need!
What if it's my last leap ever?
Yet, make the jump while I shiver
But the wings in me, I know not of, make this an easy deed

I'm a 21 year old
I don't have no problems
nor have I got some issues
 
 And now for the meanings:

Bacchanalian - Related to reveling and drunkardness
Belligerent - Eager to go to war
Misanthrope - Someone who hates the human race
Azure - Clear blue color of the sky 
Vice - A defect (Actually the opposite of virtue)
Strut - walk with a stiff, erect, and apparently arrogant or conceited gait
Callous - showing or having an insensitive and cruel disregard for others
Whine - a long, high-pitched complaining cry
Oar - a pole with a flat blade, used to row or steer a boat through the water
Banal - so lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring
Trivial - of little value or importance
Felicity - intense happiness

Premonition - a strong feeling that something is about to happen (used in a positive sense here)
Aversion - a strong dislike or disinclination
Meander - a winding curve or bend of a river or road
Accede - agree to a demand, request, or treat 

Comments

  1. I love this .......seems straight from d heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gd another first Babbu...indeed 19-22 is d age of ambiguity and like u say, a stepping stone to face life

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment